Monday, November 13, 2006

Sanity is an acquired taste

I've taken up walking as my attempt at fitness. I did this for a few reasons: I hate, hate, hate exercise and it seems a least of evils (at least the scenery changes); and I need to get my dogs, Dax and Roc, used to going out and about. Dax (French Bulldog) is particularly unsure in new situations - so I thought I'd fry her little brain on a semi-daily basis.

So far, so good. Dax loves, loves, loves it! She forgets anything she ever learned about walking nicely on lead when we start out. She dashes off to see what's around the corner, on the next block - what new and exciting things can she discover? Roc does it because I ask him to. He doesn't get it, but he's a good companion.

The ridiculousness of the situation has not, however escaped me. I take up walking in Chicago in November. And for companionship during my road work, I choose a French Bulldog and a Brussels Griffon. To paraphrase some recent campaign ads, (gone and unlamented) What was I thinking?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love dog walking and I'm not really crazy about most exercise. But to see the world through their eyes is exciting. I wish I could smell what they smell but without the human disgust factor.

Anonymous said...

HA! I could have written this about my dogs. My border collie is pretty unsure about the whole going for a walk thing. (No, he's not the typical border!) My Aussie mix, on the other hand, LOVES getting out and going for a brisk walk and checking out as much as she can along the way.

Good luck with the fitness walking!

Hope said...

So far - so good! Dax loves it. Roc goes where I go, but you can tell he doesn't get it. BTW - the first Border Collie I ever met was so atypical of the breed (easy-going, laid-back, incredibly tolerant of puppies and very sweet) I was astonished when I got to know "true" Border Collies!