Monday, June 19, 2006

Okay, we've got plenty of experience

You know the adage: Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want?

Well, I'm just about up to my eyebrows in experience now. Needless to admit, Roc and I did not qualify in Open A at our obedience trial yesterday. At the judge's discretion. I thought he did great. All of my fellow club members thought we did great. The judge judged that Roc hit the board on the broad jump and NQ'd us. Sigh. The only person whose opinion actually counts is the judge.

Oh well. There's always another trial. We had a good time and the byplay that goes on at trials is a lot of fun. A while ago I talked about how Ben, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is afraid of Roc, my Brussels Griffon. He avoids Roc whenever possible. Just by coincidence Marlene and Ben showed yesterday right before Roc and me. Which meant that on the group exercises (three-minute sit and five-minute down) Ben and Roc would be next to each other. Marlene was absolutely convinced that Ben would "break" the exercise. So she relaxed. Once you've given up hope, there's no reason to be nervous.

As it turned out, Ben's terror worked in his favor. He didn't move a muscle. Marlene and Ben qualified.

Have I mentioned how I'm thoroughly tired of experience?

No comments: