Monday, June 12, 2006

Dues? All paid up!

Yesterday a friend asked me to write a reference for him. He's up for a position as a dog trainer. I'm happy to do it - but I gasped. For a moment it seemed the height of absurdity to me. This is the man who introduced me to the joys of dog training - who is single-handedly responsible for turning me into a 24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week dog nut. It seems the moment has come - I'm officially a colleague of my mentor! I have arrived!

When I met Frank I was so clueless I was pitiful. My little dog was not socialized, unfriendly, shy and fear-aggressive. And this was the same dog who, with Frank's help, was my partner in my very first obedience competition ever. Of course, he completely hated it and we disqualified immediately (Whimsy would only heel as far away from the judge as possible. He hugged the wall on the side away from the judge - keeping up with me perfectly. Unfortunately, the wall was on my right.). I never entered him in another trial - but he was a happier and more social dog because of Frank's instruction.

And I'm a better and happier person because of Frank's classes, too. I've met so many wonderful friends through our involvement with dogs. And I love it when I can say "come" and my dog actually does - even when the Boxer across the alley is much more interesting!

No comments: