Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'll find out if the law is on my side

Once upon a time, in a different lifetime, I decided I'd go to law school. I'd been out in the working world about a year and thought night school would be a good idea. The first night of class, the first thing the instructor said was, essentially: What are you people thinking? You've decided to study law in the county with the most complex legal system in the world!

My career in law school was brief - there was a fundamental difference of opinion. Law School thought it was the most important thing ever in the history of the universe and that tardiness should be punished severely. I thought doing my job to earn money to pay the rent was a higher priority. Silly me.

Anyway, that was eons ago. And now I'm facing my first actual encounter (other than jury duty) with that notorious Cook County legal system. I've decided to sue the people who poisoned Dax. (See this post)

I know they didn't do it on purpose. But I really believe they should pay my veterinary expenses for the incident. I gave them a chance - wrote them three times to offer them the opportunity. So now I'm taking more drastic measures and filing in Small Claims Court. I don't think I should have to pay for someone else's stupidity.

I guess I've still got vestiges of the wide-eyed idealist who enrolled in law school last century. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Madseason said...

Rat poison scattered around indiscriminately for a chipmunk?!?! You have got to be kidding!! WTF?!?! Sue the SHIT outta them!

Just went through Small Claims Court myself to recover funds spent on a service that I never recieved... it worked for me and I hope it works for you! Please keep us posted!

DAX: You are a beauty! (and so are Ceilidh, Golly and Roc...) Please forgive the stupid humans!

Johann The Dog said...

I admire you for doing this. But I totally understand why you are. Putting out bait like that is illegal!!!

When I got my broken paw at the boarding facility and they didn't take me to the vet, Mum had to go to the attorney generals office to get them to pay for part of my expenses. Too bad you can't go that route. It sure made it easier than small claims court, Mum soooo didn't want to do that.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Johann

Kahshe Cottager said...

You are doing the only thing left open to you by those irresponsible people. Not only do I hope you win, I hope that they are charged with something too!

Hope said...

Thank you, all!
I filed the papers and coughed up mega bucks for the filing and to the Sheriff for serving the subpoena. Our court date is November 19. Fingers crossed!

Uncivil said...

I'm in agreement with your readers too. I hope the judge is an animal lover!

e said...

Albert Payson Terhune (author of Lad:A Dog) wrote that there was a special place in hell reserved for people who poison dogs....

And we all know the saying about intentions...!!

so sorry...good to act. good luck.