Friday, May 23, 2008

Planting? In this Freezing Weather?

It's Memorial Day weekend! It's been in the 40s every morning for the last two weeks! Unless it's been in the 30s. What is this? I always like to plant a couple of containers with pansies they're so cheerful, but it's just been too cold to even think about doing anything in the garden. But Wednesday I decided to bite the bullet and get my hands cold and dirty. So I did a couple of errands and swung by the nursery on the way home. It was closed! A neighborhood fixture for as long as I can remember - it was closed! With just a big sign on the door inviting customers to visit their other location (about 50 miles away). Another sign of our slumping economy. I did go to the supermarket where they had some sad-looking pansies on special because it's so late in the season. I bought a couple of plants and potted them up. They're looking better today. Hopefully it'll warm up -

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope your weather warms up. Your pansies look very nice. Our night time temps have been in the 40's too, but at least it warms up nicely during the day in the 60's. This weekend on it's supposed to be much better, so hope yours is too. Happy Memorial Day

DineometerDeb said...

I would say that I don't miss the cold Chicago weather now that I have moved to the south, but it was 90 in Memphis where I was this weekend.

DineometerDeb said...

Oh, and please have a hot dog for me! Or at least an Italian beef with peppers.

Karen and Gerard said...

I love pansies but never had much success with them.

Fran said...

My pansies have done really well - except for Monday, when it was about 82 degrees! - it's been in the 50's. Wait a minute, it's the end of May! Well, it'll warm up eventually...

Oh, and dineometerdeb - we had brats (Bratwurst, for all you non-Chicagoans) a couple of weeks ago, and Italian beef last week! Yum!